With Imbolc almost upon us, although many rituals are about purification for me it is the perfect time to think about sowing seeds, the seeds that will then have chance to germinate as we move through the spring and this gives everything a head start.
I am of course not talking about actual seeds in the garden, as the earth is too cold for us to do that still, at least it is where I live, but the seeds of ideas, plans, intentions for the things that we would like to bring in during the coming year.
If, like me, you have been using the past weeks to reflect and let go of whatever is no longer needed, then space has been cleared for the new to come in, if not then there is still time to do this, no one says this can only be done once a year or only during the winter. The more space there is in our lives the more we can co-create, without space it is a bit like piling more and more in the wardrobe without moving anything out, something I am unfortunalty very guilty of. Fortunately in the rest of my life I am much better at having a regular clear out 🙂
As an OBOD Ovate I have plenty of access to rituals, but as a shamanic and energy healer I much prefer to use my intuition, listen to my guides and allies and work with the energy of both the place I am holding my ritual in and of course the day itself. Consequently I have no idea what type of ritual or ceremony I will have for Imbolc yet.
These are just two ways that could be used to sow seeds at Imbolc though :
1. Planting Actual Seeds
- Prepare a pot with soil and have a handful of seeds ready.
- Take one seed and hold it in your hand, focus on ONE thing you want to bring in and breathe this into the seed
- Plant the seed in the pot
- Repeat with one seed for each idea
- Water the seeds and place the pot where you will see it regularly
- Every time you see the pot, every time you water the seeds think of all the things you are growing
2. Working with the Elements Fire and Air
- Take a sheet of paper and cut it into strips
- On each strip write one idea, plan or intention
- Find a safe place to have a small fire, or use a burning bowl,
- Taking one piece of paper at a time read what you have written there.
- Do this twice, once internally for your heart and once out loud using your voice and the air of your breath to give your intention power.
- Place this piece of paper into the flame so the element of fire can transform the energy of your idea.
- Repeat with each piece of paper
- When the fire has dies down and the ashes are cool, blow or throw them into the air doe the element Air can breathe life into your ideas.